For those of you looking to get featured in the media, it will come. Understand that it is all about timing and naturally it is based on the media’s timing not yours. The key things you can do to improve your chances are:
1. Keep your name out there online AND offline (go to community based events, connect with your local Chamber of Commerce or Economic Development office).
2. Be known for one thing, not just ’something’.
3. Actively use social networking tools like Twitter and Facebook. You can quickly turn your 6 degrees of separation into 3 or less. The more your names start circulating in networks, the more easier it will be for others to ‘discover’ you.
4. Make sure you keep your blog current! Most media story requests are leads that come from peoples blogs.
5. Create a special offer for your viewers so that way you can capture the names of the people that come to your site as a result of the exposure. Otherwise once they are gone they are most likely gone for good!
6. Send out a press release when you have major news announcements to make regarding your company.
7. Create a media page on your site. Make a page that tracks your features and lets the media know that you are comfortable with being interviewed.